Position: Mental Health Professional/Housing Specialist
Program: Assertive Community Treatment Team
Location: Wilmington NC
Education and Experience Requirements: Bachelor degree in a Human Service Field and one year of experience working with Adult MH population
Essential Functions of Mental Health Professional Housing Specialist:
- Assess housing barriers of individuals experiencing homelessness to determine housing and service needs.
- Develop a housing procurement, financial, and self-sufficiency case management plan with clients. This shall include intake interview to determine client’s needs, goals, and eligibility.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the client’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and or maintain housing.
- Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their choice.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors).
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and participants as well as between participants and neighbors.
- Provide information and referral assistance regarding available support from appropriate social service agencies and/or community programs.
- Assist in development of and encourage adherence to a personal budget through pro-active housing and budget counseling sessions; provide budget counseling and education to assist clients in establishing payments plans for bills and past debts and to assist clients in obtaining and maintaining their housing.
- Assist participants in development of a strength-based/solution-focused individualized goal and action plan that promotes permanent housing and self-sufficiency; develop an effective, timely referral network in order to ensure ongoing direction and support as needed.
- Identify participant strengths and barriers to stability and assist participants to reducing barriers and linking to resources and services.
- Provide pro-active follow-up home visits to ensure stability and further progress towards self-sufficiency; this includes support, advocacy, reducing isolation, listening, problem solving, and identification of resources to assist with reintegration of participants in the community
- Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate clients of their rights and responsibilities.
- Maintain accurate daily logs records, monthly outcome reports, and files for each client
Job Type: Full-time